This Cheesy Tater Tot Breakfast Bake is simply irresistible! It’s easy, make-ahead, and tastes scrumptious the next morning! Satisfying and delish…a must try.
I consider winter runners to be a teensy bit crazy.
We’re talking Minnesota winter; I always wear these genius running pants, quadruple layers, and a ski mask. So I can go running alongside the snow plowed roads, potentially taking a hard hit on the bum. (In front of all the drivers who will undoubtedly gasp and stare when I trip.)
Doesn’t sound like a party.
So it shocked even me when I decided to get my trusty running sneakers on pavement in January. A bit of crazy somehow seeped into my brain. I was/am needing a break from my love-hate relationship with the dreadmill at home. There’s only so many reruns of Master Chef that can keep me going.
Granted, my January runs have been in unexpectedly fantastic weather (everything is relative)… 20-30F is awesome for us this time of year.
Guess there’s a first for everything. Like tater tots in my breakfast…
We’ve all seen or heard of tater tot casseroles. I’ve eaten a couple of them that sent me back for more.
But I never would have put them into my breakfast. Until I did.
One bite and I exclaimed whoa! …to no one in particular, but this casserole is so good, you’ll brag to yourself while eating.
My peeps and I were ridiculously smitten.
Of course The Littles would love anything crowned with crispy tater tots. But Hubby and I (and every single grown-up we’ve ever encountered) are all just as eager to devour this breakfast of champions. The entire pan vanishes every single time.
This Cheesy Tater Tot Breakfast Bake is teeming with all our AM faves: breakfast sausage, bacon, cheese, eggs, and potatoes.
All layered in one irresistible casserole.
The best part, as always in my book, is the ease of this dish. With just a handful of simple ingredients, it’s perfect for weekends, holidays, and even breakfast-for-dinner.
If you’re not a morning person, I hear you with big elephant ears.
This casserole can easily be assembled the night before and popped into the oven the next morning for a hearty meal everyone loves waking up to.
- 4 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 lb ground breakfast sausage, no casings
- 2½ cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded, divided
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 extra large eggs or 3 large eggs
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- ½ tsp onion powder
- pinch of table salt (1/8 tsp)
- 2 lbs frozen tater tots
- 3 TB freshly chopped parsley for garnish
- In a very large skillet, cook sausage on medium high heat, breaking up the meat and browning it. Once cooked through, drain and layer onto the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking pan. Evenly sprinkle 2 cups of the cheese over cooked sausage.
- In a large bowl, hand-whisk together the milk, eggs, pepper, onion powder, and salt. Once mixed, pour evenly over the cheese and sausage in baking dish. Layer top with frozen tater tots. If not baking right away, cover tightly with foil and chill in fridge until the next morning.
- When ready to bake, set oven to 350F with rack on lower middle position. Once oven reaches 350F, place casserole in oven for about 35 minutes. Top with additional ½ cup cheese, cooked/crumbled bacon, and bake another 5-10 minutes or until sides are bubbling and top is golden brown. Garnish with chopped parsley, let rest at room temp 10 minutes, and serve.
Source: Chew Out Loud
Best breakfast bakes ever:
1. Hash Brown Tomato Breakfast Bake. Unashamedly wonderful. Especially with the addition of tomatoes and spinach. It’s one of our best breakfast bakes ever.
2. English Muffin Breakfast Casserole. Can’t go wrong with English muffins, eggs, sausage, and bacon. It’s a crowd pleaser.
3. Enchilada Breakfast Bake. Get a bit of spicy on with this Tex Mex version of breakfast! It’s 120% addictive, and you’ll likely be asked for the recipe. Or you’ll be nominated to make it often.
We’d love to have you follow us on Pinterest, where we pin the best finds!
Hang with us on Instagram for behind-the-scenes shots of the food we make and lots of inspiration.